Ok, so you want to teach casually in Australia on a WHV? You've come to the right place.

The first thing you need to decide is, which state you want to teach in, as the process differs in each state.  We started teaching in Melbourne and started the process whilst we were still at home in Northern Ireland. This of course then made applying for other states a little easier. So far we have only personally applied for VIC and NSW but have tried our best to get all the facts about other states and the processes that follow. 

Getting Started


The good news is that you can start the process before arriving in Australia. Which is great as the process can often take up to 12 weeks! However, they do give a timeframe of 6-8 weeks. This may all be made simpler if you already have teaching registration in another state! The process is all completed on the VIT (Victorian Institute of Teaching) website where you can make your VIT account. As a teacher on a WHV you will apply for ‘provisional registration’.  You will need:

  • Degree Certificate
  • University Transcripts (these can be frustrating to obtain as we know what university admin can be like.. our advice is to obtain these first and foremost)
  • Proof of ‘teaching days’ undertaken during degree
  • ID verification forms (must be completed by a professional who knows you and can verify your ID in person)
  •  Some applicants may also have to complete literacy and numeracy tests
Once your application has been approved you will be given a VIT number and you’re pretty much good to go! Keep this number handy as schools may ask you for it. You will also get a paper card in the post.

Queensland (QLD)

We haven’t personally applied for registration in QLD yet but the process seems similar to that of VIC. Teachers on a WHV can apply for ‘provisional registration’. It is obtained through the Queensland College of Teaching (QCT) and costs $295. This cost is slightly less if you have a QLD blue card but the blue card will set you back another $97. From our research you do not need it to apply but may be asked to complete a criminal history check which would cost you $27 on top of the $295 registration fee. After creating a QCT account you must fill out the Application Form then the list of required documents is different for each case. You will be emailed a list of the documents that is required for your case. See the list in the VIC section for possible required document. There is also the option to complete registration under the ‘mutual recognition’ if you have already received recognition in another state but there is no real benefit of doing this on a WHV. One last, rather annoying part to this process is that you have to post your documents to the QCT so this may 50 Somerton Park to the overall cost, especially if you are applying from outside Australia.


Unlike VIC, the process to teach in NSW can only start once you are in Australia. This isn’t great news as it can often take 4-6 weeks for the whole process.

  1. Once in NSW, go to a service centre and apply for a working with children check (WWCC). It’s around $80. For this you need your Visa, passport and another form of ‘use in the community’ document e.g medicare card or Oz bank card). You should get an email back pretty soon after applying with a WWCC number, ours came back within a few hours.
  2. Once you have your WWCC number, you can apply for your teaching registration. This is done through NESA and costs $100. This usually takes 4-6 weeks. You will need:
    • Degree certificates
    • Transcripts 
    • WWCC
    • ID verification (Visa & passport)
  3.  Once you have your NESA number. This only allows you to teach in independent schools, of which there are few. So the next step is to apply for a DET number, using your NESA number. This will then allow you to teach in department schools, which are most common across larger cities. To obtain your DET number usually takes up to a week. 
  4. DET alone is not enough to teach in department schools. You must also complete training courses. A LOT of training courses. 11 to be exact. These can be found on the DET website when you apply. You will create your own professional learning account where you can work through the courses. Overall I would say it took 5 hours. It’s quite painstaking. 
  5. No, you’re still not finished. Once you have your DET number and have completed the training course you will be given ‘casual interim approval’ to teach in department schools. However, in order to continue teaching or to accept a contract in a department school, you must complete ‘teacher suitability assessments’ which include reasoning tests and an online interview (not with an actual person but pre-recorded questions). A link for these will be sent to you after you receive your DET number.
  6. On top of all this there is also a Catholic Teaching Number which you must get if you want to teach in Catholic schools. This is pretty straightforward.

Western Australia (WA)

We haven’t applied for teaching registration here yet, but plan to move here in the next year as the pay rate for casual teachers here is the highest. The application is through the TRBWA (Teaching Registration Board of Western Australia). The registration fee can vary quite significantly depending on your degree.  Teachers that hold a teaching qualification from an accredited initial teacher education (ITE) program or a qualification that the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA) recognises as equivalent, only pay $136 for provisional registration . This is usually a 4 year course or 1 year course at Graduate level. If your degree does not fall into this category, the price is $458. On top of this, please be careful of other charges! They can charge for late payment processing fee and for seeking advice – up to $320!! 

The process seems to be similar to VIC so please see this section for the list of possible documents to prepare. 


Northern Territory (NT)

Again, we haven’t completed this process an not sure if we will get the chance to teach here. The process here seems rather different as it depends if you want to be a casual (or what they call relief) teacher or work more full-time/casual. Casual/relief teachers are employed directly by the council and are not departmental employees. Regardless you still need a NT teacher registration and an ‘Ochre Card’ which is their version of a working with childrens’ check (WWCC) . This is obtained through the TRB (Teaching Registration Board of the Northern Territory).